Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The Fourth Way

FourthWay
The Fourth Way were like superstars to me and my friends in the early 70s. Then, somehow, for no real good reason I think, we forgot about them.

[Mike Nock, electric piano and composer; Michael White, electric violin; Ron McClure, bass; Eddie Marshall, drums]

They were the rhythm section on John Handy's awesome live set at Monterey (on Columbia). They picked up on 'Miles in the Sky', 'In a Silent Way', that kind of thing, and they helped lubricate the rock influence in jazz. This album on Capitol kicked it off, there was a peak record on Capitol's UK sub Harvest (which I can't locate yet). I seem to remember the follow-up was really disappointing, so I guess that was the end.

Mike Nock is a wonderful composer, but I never checked out any of his solo recordings (maybe now I'll track some down.) Michael White was a fairly useless early fusion star. Ron McClure's a teacher at NYU. Eddie Marshall's still got a good rep in SF.

This groovy track's from an LP dub Alan ripped. Nothing's on CD. Virtually nothing's on the web. They're almost completely lost in the vapor. It's too bad.

The Fourth Way >Everyman's Your Brother

5 Comments:

Blogger bgo said...

Wow. I stumble in here from another link and found this mp3. I haven't heard this in years. Keep up the great work with this blog. I will be back often. I love your taste in music.

m&s

12:59 PM  
Blogger Fred Seibert said...

Well, I'm glad we've made you happy. Though I must say I'm surprised it's with the Fourth Way, a group seemingly so obscure, they barely exist online, and nowhere in the digital realm. I'm trying to get up the energy to get their Harvest LP that I really remember happily.

Thanks for coming over.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola - I was the recording engineer on a Fourth Way Album (hopefully not the one you didn't like) It recorded live in Berekley, CA. I remember the session well and I LOVED the album. I think I have it back in the States (I am living in Mexico at the moment) I will check.
Saludos - John Wilson
john@ranchocalypso.com

1:11 PM  
Blogger DJ Kool JB said...

link is dead :( if you could re-post that would be super!! thanx

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael White Useless? WTF?

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home