Saturday, July 30, 2005

Keith Jarrett.

jarrett belongingjarrett melody
Keith Jarrett (& Jan Garbarek) >The Windup
Keith Jarrett > Blame It On My Youth/Meditation

My first midnight radio show on WKCR-FM was named after a Keith Jarrett LP (Life Between the Exit Signs) more because it was a hip name; I didn't really know too much about the music. I enjoyed seeing him with Miles Davis (and Steve Grossman, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, and Airto Moreira) in 1970 in Central Park, but that was really because of Miles. And I loved seeing him at the Mercer Arts Center in New York (before it collapsed) in 1973 during the tour to promote his innovative, stream of conciousness solo debut on ECM.

But as his success as a solo improviser flowered, he became such a fucking arrogant, pretentious fool I almost completely dismissed him. It wasn't the music, it was his attitude that was so completely off-putting.

So, on reflection the other day, I was surprised to see how often I put my feelings aside; there were at least a dozen CD's in my collection.

Here's two tracks that show why. He rocks, he cajoles, he caresses. He's really good.

Keith Jarrett (& Jan Garbarek) >The Windup
Keith Jarrett > Blame It On My Youth/Meditation

2 Comments:

Blogger etnobofin said...

Some nice Jarrett tracks here - both from albums I've been meaning to get, but havent got round to buying yet...

I agree, arrogance in an artist is a big turn-off, but unfortunately it sometimes comes with the territory of being a genius. For example, I'm not sure I would have ever liked to have met Miles, but I can still get to his music.

http://etnobofin.blogspot.com

Peace

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Belonging" is one of those handful of CDs that I had to buy when my old faithful (and very scratchy) LP collection went into the basement (where it still resides - can't quite give it up). I love this entire CD and listen to it often. It was very fun to see it turn up on the site.

I am perhaps too lazy or time-challenged or whatever, so I won't post links to tunes/CDs, but will randomly suggest additional tunes for fun - maybe if Fred likes them too he will post the links.....

So... as another old selection that I have continued to listen to for the past 30 years or so - I suggest Joe Zawinul's "Rise and Fall of the Third Stream".

And Fred - to add some additional diversity, I am going to throw in some classical selections here and there, and might even make the effort to include links to those so you will HAVE to post them.

Now isn't this fun...

Kathleen

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home